when you’re too full but the food is so good you just keep eating it
thank you so much! also make sure you check out the college tag
There is a Brotherhood (Explicit | 21,004)
So far, college has taught Stiles three things:
1) Eight am classes are cruel and unusual and should be avoided at all costs, even if it means having to enroll in something truly hideous instead, like Econ 101.
2) Dorm security is just as tight as Stiles’ orientation leader had promised it would be, and the dude guarding Scott’s dorm in particular does not respond well to bribes.
3) Mrs. McCall clearly had no clue what she was talking about when she’d insisted that Scott and Stiles needed to branch out and room with strangers, so it’s all her fault that Scott ended up with a total dick of a roommate and Stiles got stuck all the way across campus with some guy who has a girlfriend two towns over and is thus never around.
Or, the one where pledge brothers Stiles and Scott enter into a prank war with Derek Hale’s fraternity.
The Company I Keep (Explicit | 67,551)
Stiles has a favorite table at the library. Then some asshole comes along and steals it from him.
Losers (Teen | 34,234)
Where Derek is new to college, eager to spend his time learning, and Stiles is everything he didn’t want in a roommate. He’s loud, he’s into sports, and he keeps trying to make Derek do things.
Or, the one where Derek falls for a jock, Erica will cut you if you disturb her studying, and Jackson is a closeted romantic who pretends to hate everything.
Beauty and the Ex (Teen | 26,313)
Stiles doesn’t want to screw up his chances with Josh, so he does something he may regret: he goes to Derek Hale, Josh’s intimidating ex-boyfriend, for dating advice.
Things don’t go according to plan, but with a little magic (and werewolves) they might be all right.
The Hazards (and Benefits) of Channel-Surfing on Friday Night (Teen | 12,175)
He’s watching TV over the edge of his laptop when Scott brings up the fact that he’s still a lonely loser in his third year of college without a boyfriend which, while being completely true, is really fucking unappreciated. It sparks a desperate need to save what little manhood Stiles has and, before he knows it, he’s blurting, “I totally have a boyfriend, dude. Shows how much you know.”
How was he supposed to know Scott would doubt him? It’s not Stiles’ fault that someone named Derek Hale really exists. It’s also not his fault when his lie grows legs and runs so far he can’t find it, until it’s too late - too late and standing right in front of him, gorgeous and annoyed and not at all the person Stiles made him up to be.
Yeah, this could get bad.
It’s Called a Heart Boner (Teen | 26,784)
In which everyone and everything ever in the history of the world is trying to ruin Derek’s life before he can finish his master’s, especially his evil twin sister, his weird ability to start relationships on accident, his best friend’s obsession with his sex life, people with dimples, his subsequent inability to end relationships, manipulative sorority queens, and oh yeah, that stupid drunk ass freshman he keeps running into.
The five times Derek saves a very drunk Stiles and the one time Stiles saves him back.
The Right Number (Teen | 30,377)
When Stiles Stilinski’s phone gets switched at the gym, he really just wants it back. The last thing he’s expecting is to fall hopelessly in lust with the guy who’s got his phone.
So, of course, that’s exactly what happens.
Game On (Teen | 6,393)
Derek first sees him from across the quad four days into fall semester. He’s sitting on one of the long benches, a marker pen in his mouth, grinning at something the kid lounging on the bench beside him is saying. When he laughs properly he pulls the pen out and throws his head back, his neck a long, lean line Derek is entranced by. He flicks the page in his book and highlights something, tossing the cap up in the air and catching it with his teeth.
The Chemistry Between Us (Explicit | 26,041)
Meeting Derek Hale wasn’t special, or frightening, or any of the other things everyone had made it out to be. It was, actually, pretty much the opposite. Stiles didn’t even realize the guy was Derek Hale until the moment had passed. Derek: the most infamous student at Beacon Hills University. Stiles: the freshman who falls for him anyway. Awkward encounters, concerned friends, and lots of not-so-casual sex ensue. (A ‘fuckbuddies to lovers’ college AU.)
Sourwolf Candy (Teen | 35, 701)
When the Sourwolf Candy franchise offers a $10,000 annual scholarship to the school of the winner’s choice, Stiles jumps at the chance to enter. It doesn’t matter that the other prizes are a day with one of the Hales and a lifetime supply of Sourwolf Candy. The sacrifices are worth it, because if there’s one thing that Stiles hates more than Sourwolf Candy, it’s Derek Hale.
So of course he has to spend a day with the guy who made the catchphrase ‘Don’t be such a Sourwolf’ popular: Sourfaced Derek Hale himself. If he doesn’t, he doesn’t get his scholarship money.
Derek just wants a little sugar. Or a lot of sugar, as the case may be.
A whole case of sugar.
(He stress-eats sugar, ok?)
Simply Math (Clean | 6,677)
"It’s just math, Derek. It’s me and you; it’s not rocket science and it’s not Shakespeare. It’s basic arithmetic and you, for some ungodly reason, never bothered to learn to add.”
sorry that the formatting’s a little weird, I had to do this manually off my phone and it wasn’t very efficient.
Ugh, and my FAVORITE, favorite part of this (aside from the FANTASTIC PORN that halfhardtorock wrote) is thinking about how after his heat has faded and he’s back to normal, he would refuse to even ACKNOWLEDGE that anything had happened.
Like, can you imagine his dad a few days later being like “What happened to the framed pictures that were on the wall by the stairs?”
And Stiles being all, “Hmm, must have fallen.”
Or like the first time he sees Deputy Derek after it all and Derek’s giving him these heated looks and Stiles is all, “Take a picture, Deputy, it’ll last longer!” And then he laughs and goes back to his phone.
And it drives Derek NUTS because! WELL. Usually there’s residual heatbond ~feelings. And Stiles is just like “lalala i have no idea what you’re talking about no i never cried and begged for your knot. i did no such thiiiiing. GOTTA JET, ME AND SCOTTY ARE GOING TO THE MOVIES. LATER GATOR.”
You know… until his NEXT heat hits. And then it’s Stiles just… just SHOWING UP AT DEREK’S HOUSE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. But it’s still too early for SEX. He doesn’t — he doesn’t want THAT. He wants that stupid, horrible feeling of Derek being THERE FOR HIM. He’s SO ANGRY ABOUT IT THOUGH. Why does he have to need somebody? He doesn’t need ANYBODY but his DAD and SCOTT.
He doesn’t want to need stupid Deputy Derek with his unfair beard and hideous little rodent teeth and embarrassing ‘aww shucks’ smile that he tries to HIDE when it happens because he doesn’t want to ruin his rep by showing an emotion that isn’t SCOWLING.
STILES HATES HIM.
Stiles loves him.
UGH EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE FOR STILES.
omg AMBER YOU. ARE THE BEST. UGH.
Yes. He’d be such a little SHIT about it. Like whatever, nothing memorable happened.
Which drives Derek nuts. Alphas and omegas usually get pretty attached. Like every single omega he’s ever knotted in town still smiles at him all warm and affectionate like an old friend when he sees them, even if it was just one time. And his relationship to them is always so concerned and thoughtful. Like he wants each and every one one of them to be happy and provided for. Sometimes he’ll end up over on the weekend at Mrs. Ellis’s house (who took his first heat-knot at 15), cleaning out her gutters for her and worrying over her carrying bags of fertilizer around by herself. He even checks her fire alarms to make sure they’ve got fresh batteries before he goes. HE’S AN ALPHA, IT’S WHAT HE DOES.
But Stiles like, blows him off and is all snarky and…and Stiles. Which. He just thought it would be different.
when you’re too full but the food is so good you just keep eating it
AKA, the Blushing High School AUdep·u·tize
temporarily act or speak as a deputy.
synonyms: stand in for, sit in for, fill in for, cover for, substitute for, replace
””He’s too old for you,” Derek grunts, and, shit - Stiles looks indignant."Dude, Cora just threatened my dangly-bits. What the fuck?" he says, taking a long draught of his beer. "And she started talking about something I did in eleventh grade that I have no id-“
The words die on his lips as he looks across the room, and there, sitting on the edge of an armchair with a relaxed smile on his face, in a well-fitted henley and jeans, is Imaginary L’Oreal Boyfriend. Or, Derek Hale.Lydia snorts. “So you seem to have had sex with a Sunday school teacher. From the 1950s.”
Stiles turns in his seat to scowl at her, but she simply lifts a shoulder.
"Whoa, hey," Scott protests, voice tinny through Stiles’ laptop speakers. "I don’t think it’s fair to judge a guy on what he yells when he comes."
"I was just calling to say thanks, buddy, for the mix CD," Stiles is saying as Derek navigates the front walk. He stops. "Very 2005 of you, but sweet."
Sure thing, friend! There might be some overlap in these.
50+ fic recs
Magic!Stiles (+ meeting the parents under the cut)
- What I Did On My Summer Vacation by grimm (E, 119k) There’s something weird about Beacon Hills that Stiles can’t quite put his finger on. The way everyone in town knows his name the day he arrives. The way they insist the melancholic howling that echoes through the forest every night is just a dog. The way his dad denies getting a dog, even though Stiles comes home to find one sprawled across his bed, some big black thing whose eyes gleam red in the right light. The way that massive oak tree out in the woods vibrates under his touch, pulsing with sickly life. There’s something weird going on in this town, and Stiles is determined to get to the bottom of it.
- que tu m’aimais encore by magneticwave (T, 20k) Wolves mate for life, don’t they?
- Stand Fast in Your Enchantments by DevilDoll (E, 77k) "Stiles knew damn well what a pissed-off wolf sounded like, and every hair on the back of his neck was telling him that somewhere in this room was a very pissed-off werewolf." An AU in which Derek is feral, Stiles is magical, and they eat a lot of fast food.
- Play it Again by metisket (T, 63k) In which Stiles goes along with one of Derek’s plans and ends up in an alternate universe as a result. He should’ve known better. He did know better, actually, and that means he has no one to blame but himself. “Laura wants to lure the kid in with food and kindness and make a pet of him, like a feral cat. Derek wants to have him arrested for stalking. They’re at an impasse. (And the rest of the family is staying emphatically out of it in a way that suggests bets have been placed.)”
- The Walls Are Breathing In by secondstar (E, 42k) Nothing could go wrong. It was just supposed to be a safe trip to the Nemeton. But this is Beacon Hills and things are rarely that simple. Welcome to the life of Stiles Stilinski. Or, that time that Stiles accidentally became a sorcerer against his will.
- In The New Year by pyes (T, 44k) In Beacon Hills they don’t say “Happy Holidays.” Instead they say “Yo, Derek,” which translates to “I’m pretty sure I soul-bound my sorry ass to the floor of your loft, four years ago, while reading spells off the internet.” I think that’s beautiful.
"You cannot leave me here,” Stiles hisses.
"I’ll be ten minutes, tops," Derek promises, sliding on his deputy jacket and grinning roguishly. "I’ll make it worth your while."
"No, Derek!" Stiles gestures to the door, still closed, thank god, but with the rest of the damn police department milling around outside. "Someone might come in!"
"Someone might have come in half an hour ago when you were blowing me on my desk," Derek smirks, "Didn’t stop you then."
"I wasn’t half naked from the waist down!"
Several of you have dropped into my inbox over the last few weeks to ask me to rec some fic to you, mostly along the lines of some solid fandom-fave tropes like BAMF!Stiles and Feels!Porn, which are awesome and popular and contain many multitudinous wonders.
However, I’d like to do something a tiny bit different and offer you some of my faves, in all pairings, in no particular order. They’ll be a little left-field! They’ll be fics I have remembered vividly, for reasons I might not be able to articulate! Hopefully you’ll enjoy them too, and if you don’t, feel free to tell me why.
So without further ado, Nat’s Not-Particularly-Themed Rec List Of Teen Wolf Fics:
- I love this fic a shitload. It’s got such a great tone and hits home about what it feels like to see your kids moving on and to be the parents left behind, as well as being a great snapshot of a very unusual town. Also? It’s fucking funny.
- This is listed as a Laura Hale/Chris Argent fic, but the relationship is one of mutual tension rather than consummation, couched in Laura and Derek’s years on the run and on the back foot. It’s a wonderful, vivid, gripping character study of Laura as she might have been, and I have it saved on my kindle in what’s become its permanent spot.
- If you are looking for a character study of Erica that’s done with beautiful, spare, poetic prose, look no further. It’s less than a thousand words long and packs a punch way out of its weight class.
- Verity’s fics are always delightful but this is my very favourite asexual Derek fic, and every time I read it I smile.
- The conversation Derek and Allison will probably never have, framed believably and with great skill. This hurts in all the right ways, and beautifully illustrates the paralells between them.
- This fic gives Boyd the history and the family he deserved, and it’s fully entered my head and stayed there as my private, deeply-held canon.
Que Lastima Pero Adios by Magneticwave (Boyd/Erica)
- Erica, my queen. Magneticwave brings her to life, gets inside of her head and her heart and all her insecurities. This Erica is someone I’d like to know, and someone I would miss if she left.
- A fic about growing up, learning yourself, and female friendship, as well as containing one of my favourite rare pairings. I love it, there’s nothing more I can say.
- Danny devirginises Stiles. It’s magical.
- This is a dark, dark fic, but manages to be oddly beautiful, eaxmining the relationship between two deeply damaged people who have nothing left but each other. Stuck with me for a long time.
- A very interesting triad!
- Three stories in three chapters, all set within the Repo! The Genetic Opera universe. The Boyd/Erica chapter is fantastic in particular, although I truthfully love everything about this fic. The characters are fantastically transplanted, and the details are lightly-drawn enough that the world feels entirely organic. 1001cranes has a terrific handle on Peter as well, I am always impressed.
- Look, I could really say ‘read Morgan’s fics’ but in the interest of specificity, this hit me like a punch to the solar plexus. I’m not always in the mood for a happy ending, and I am always in the mood for note-perfect, gut-wrenching pieces.
- The author describes this EPIC series as "Whoops, I Got Some Fantasy Worldbuilding In My Gay Werewolves." I feel like this is the most accurate summary possible of what reads to me as a novel with familiar characters. Stiles in particular, aged-up and a little more streetwise, is very compelling. The final story is in progress, I find myself jumping in excitement whenever an update lands in my inbox.
- Three points of view on the same story, slowly revealing the complexity of what initially appears to be a fairly straightforward, if dark, Hogwarts AU. This is a masterpiece of show-don’t-tell.
- Murder, mayhem, and what happens after revenge.
- Okay, if you, like me, are tired of Scott always taking the role of straight-man to Stiles’ more exuberant prankster, have I got a fic for you. I cackled.
- Stiles tries to figure out the root cause of lycanthropy, and all his digging unearths a lot more than he bargained for. This is a sharp, inventive, mythology-filled piece with unexpected depth.
So that’s it! I did six of each category to avoid making this way too fucking long, but I would love it if people would add their own unusual favourites.
As always please heed individual warnings on fics, all links lead to AO3.