Several of you have dropped into my inbox over the last few weeks to ask me to rec some fic to you, mostly along the lines of some solid fandom-fave tropes like BAMF!Stiles and Feels!Porn, which are awesome and popular and contain many multitudinous wonders.
However, I’d like to do something a tiny bit different and offer you some of my faves, in all pairings, in no particular order. They’ll be a little left-field! They’ll be fics I have remembered vividly, for reasons I might not be able to articulate! Hopefully you’ll enjoy them too, and if you don’t, feel free to tell me why.
So without further ado, Nat’s Not-Particularly-Themed Rec List Of Teen Wolf Fics:
Men Of A Certain Age by Peroxidepest17
- I love this fic a shitload. It’s got such a great tone and hits home about what it feels like to see your kids moving on and to be the parents left behind, as well as being a great snapshot of a very unusual town. Also? It’s fucking funny.
Guaranteed To Blow Your Mind by Magneticwave
- This is listed as a Laura Hale/Chris Argent fic, but the relationship is one of mutual tension rather than consummation, couched in Laura and Derek’s years on the run and on the back foot. It’s a wonderful, vivid, gripping character study of Laura as she might have been, and I have it saved on my kindle in what’s become its permanent spot.
Louve by Quinndolynn
- If you are looking for a character study of Erica that’s done with beautiful, spare, poetic prose, look no further. It’s less than a thousand words long and packs a punch way out of its weight class.
You Bought The Whole Pie by Verity
- Verity’s fics are always delightful but this is my very favourite asexual Derek fic, and every time I read it I smile.
Hunter’s Bend by Starbolin
- The conversation Derek and Allison will probably never have, framed believably and with great skill. This hurts in all the right ways, and beautifully illustrates the paralells between them.
Lay Me Down by Dirtydirtychai
- This fic gives Boyd the history and the family he deserved, and it’s fully entered my head and stayed there as my private, deeply-held canon.
Que Lastima Pero Adios by Magneticwave (Boyd/Erica)
- Erica, my queen. Magneticwave brings her to life, gets inside of her head and her heart and all her insecurities. This Erica is someone I’d like to know, and someone I would miss if she left.
Girltalk by Scoutshonor (Lydia/Erica)
- A fic about growing up, learning yourself, and female friendship, as well as containing one of my favourite rare pairings. I love it, there’s nothing more I can say.
Virgin State Of Mind by Recrudescence (Danny/Stiles)
- Danny devirginises Stiles. It’s magical.
Boelyn, Beheaded by Antistar_e (Derek/Laura)
- This is a dark, dark fic, but manages to be oddly beautiful, eaxmining the relationship between two deeply damaged people who have nothing left but each other. Stuck with me for a long time.
Green Eyed by Queenitsy (Stiles/Erica/Derek)
- A very interesting triad!
Common Blood by 1001cranes (Boyd/Erica, Derek/Jackson, Peter/Stiles)
- Three stories in three chapters, all set within the Repo! The Genetic Opera universe. The Boyd/Erica chapter is fantastic in particular, although I truthfully love everything about this fic. The characters are fantastically transplanted, and the details are lightly-drawn enough that the world feels entirely organic. 1001cranes has a terrific handle on Peter as well, I am always impressed.
The World Forgetting, The World Forgot by M_Leigh
- Look, I could really say ‘read Morgan’s fics’ but in the interest of specificity, this hit me like a punch to the solar plexus. I’m not always in the mood for a happy ending, and I am always in the mood for note-perfect, gut-wrenching pieces.
Strange Lives by Witticaster Cole
- The author describes this EPIC series as "Whoops, I Got Some Fantasy Worldbuilding In My Gay Werewolves." I feel like this is the most accurate summary possible of what reads to me as a novel with familiar characters. Stiles in particular, aged-up and a little more streetwise, is very compelling. The final story is in progress, I find myself jumping in excitement whenever an update lands in my inbox.
Such Things Don’t Bear Repeating by Allizane
- Three points of view on the same story, slowly revealing the complexity of what initially appears to be a fairly straightforward, if dark, Hogwarts AU. This is a masterpiece of show-don’t-tell.
This Town Is Only Gonna Eat You by Sempiternalsea
- Murder, mayhem, and what happens after revenge.
Never Saw You Comin’ by Resplendissate
- Okay, if you, like me, are tired of Scott always taking the role of straight-man to Stiles’ more exuberant prankster, have I got a fic for you. I cackled.
Red-Handed Man by Proxydialogue
- Stiles tries to figure out the root cause of lycanthropy, and all his digging unearths a lot more than he bargained for. This is a sharp, inventive, mythology-filled piece with unexpected depth.
So that’s it! I did six of each category to avoid making this way too fucking long, but I would love it if people would add their own unusual favourites.
I have left off a bunch of fantastic authors for length, but if you are looking for feelings and porn I can also point you at Nanoochka, p1013, Rrrowr and queerly-it-is.
As always please heed individual warnings on fics, all links lead to AO3.