Several of you have dropped into my inbox over the last few weeks to ask me to rec some fic to you, mostly along the lines of some solid fandom-fave tropes like BAMF!Stiles and Feels!Porn, which are awesome and popular and contain many multitudinous wonders.
However, I’d like to do something a tiny bit different and offer you some of my faves, in all pairings, in no particular order. They’ll be a little left-field! They’ll be fics I have remembered vividly, for reasons I might not be able to articulate! Hopefully you’ll enjoy them too, and if you don’t, feel free to tell me why.
So without further ado, Nat’s Not-Particularly-Themed Rec List Of Teen Wolf Fics:
- I love this fic a shitload. It’s got such a great tone and hits home about what it feels like to see your kids moving on and to be the parents left behind, as well as being a great snapshot of a very unusual town. Also? It’s fucking funny.
- This is listed as a Laura Hale/Chris Argent fic, but the relationship is one of mutual tension rather than consummation, couched in Laura and Derek’s years on the run and on the back foot. It’s a wonderful, vivid, gripping character study of Laura as she might have been, and I have it saved on my kindle in what’s become its permanent spot.
- If you are looking for a character study of Erica that’s done with beautiful, spare, poetic prose, look no further. It’s less than a thousand words long and packs a punch way out of its weight class.
- Verity’s fics are always delightful but this is my very favourite asexual Derek fic, and every time I read it I smile.
- The conversation Derek and Allison will probably never have, framed believably and with great skill. This hurts in all the right ways, and beautifully illustrates the paralells between them.
- This fic gives Boyd the history and the family he deserved, and it’s fully entered my head and stayed there as my private, deeply-held canon.
Que Lastima Pero Adios by Magneticwave (Boyd/Erica)
- Erica, my queen. Magneticwave brings her to life, gets inside of her head and her heart and all her insecurities. This Erica is someone I’d like to know, and someone I would miss if she left.
- A fic about growing up, learning yourself, and female friendship, as well as containing one of my favourite rare pairings. I love it, there’s nothing more I can say.
- Danny devirginises Stiles. It’s magical.
- This is a dark, dark fic, but manages to be oddly beautiful, eaxmining the relationship between two deeply damaged people who have nothing left but each other. Stuck with me for a long time.
- A very interesting triad!
- Three stories in three chapters, all set within the Repo! The Genetic Opera universe. The Boyd/Erica chapter is fantastic in particular, although I truthfully love everything about this fic. The characters are fantastically transplanted, and the details are lightly-drawn enough that the world feels entirely organic. 1001cranes has a terrific handle on Peter as well, I am always impressed.
- Look, I could really say ‘read Morgan’s fics’ but in the interest of specificity, this hit me like a punch to the solar plexus. I’m not always in the mood for a happy ending, and I am always in the mood for note-perfect, gut-wrenching pieces.
- The author describes this EPIC series as "Whoops, I Got Some Fantasy Worldbuilding In My Gay Werewolves." I feel like this is the most accurate summary possible of what reads to me as a novel with familiar characters. Stiles in particular, aged-up and a little more streetwise, is very compelling. The final story is in progress, I find myself jumping in excitement whenever an update lands in my inbox.
- Three points of view on the same story, slowly revealing the complexity of what initially appears to be a fairly straightforward, if dark, Hogwarts AU. This is a masterpiece of show-don’t-tell.
- Murder, mayhem, and what happens after revenge.
- Okay, if you, like me, are tired of Scott always taking the role of straight-man to Stiles’ more exuberant prankster, have I got a fic for you. I cackled.
- Stiles tries to figure out the root cause of lycanthropy, and all his digging unearths a lot more than he bargained for. This is a sharp, inventive, mythology-filled piece with unexpected depth.
So that’s it! I did six of each category to avoid making this way too fucking long, but I would love it if people would add their own unusual favourites.
As always please heed individual warnings on fics, all links lead to AO3.